Sunday, September 25, 2011

G&D Free Spiced Butternut Squash Bars

OK seriously these are good! I mean wow...simply wow. I am actually eating one as we speak, and it is making me smile inside and out (if that is even possible?) Anyway these were a happy accident :) I wanted to make pumpkin pie, and I was out of pumpkin, however I did have organic butternut squash puree....I know weird. And I decided I didn't want to attempt making a pie crust, so I made more of a cake batter for the lower half of the bar...Happy accident I tell you.



The Cake Batter Crust


1/3 C. Tapioca flour
1/2 C. Brown rice flour
1/2 C. Organic cane sugar
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. Baking soda
1 Tsp. vanilla
1/4 C. Light olive oil
1/3 C. Coconut milk (not in a can)
2 Eggs

Mix all your dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add your wet and mix until combined. Pour into a greased 9x13" glass baking dish @ 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until just lightly browned. Allow to cool.

The Divine Filling

1/2 Can of butternut squash puree
1/2 Can full fat coconut milk
1/2 C. Organic cane sugar (that is what I had on hand, palm sugar would be good too)
2 Eggs
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
Pinch of salt
Freshly grated nutmeg to taste (I used about 1/4 of the nut)

Mix the ingredients above in a mixer with a whisk attachment on medium speed until well combined. Next pour onto your cooled cake batter, then bake @ 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes until it is set. Then snuggle up with a blanket, and just sit and enjoy it..

1 comment:

  1. You're lucky to have so many happy accidents - mine don't usually turn out happy. :) As always, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...